Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Ireland- Day 1. "Hold that Plane"!, Rental Car mishaps, and Beautiful Wicklow

So, we are HERE!  Left OKC at 3:30 PM on Tuesday, Arrived in Atlanta at 6:45 their time (1 hour ahead of us) did I mention our arriving flight was late, and second flight decided to board earrly? Did I also forget to tell you that we arrived on the opposite side of the Atlanta airport (of course) and had to quite literally run (Home Alone style) through the terminals? Oh and one more thing, as we see our gate (about 10 gates and about 200 yards away) we hear over the loudspeaker "Last call for ATL to Dublin, Last call,your plane is boarded and ready to leave...".  Yeah,   seriously. Nicole looks at me very seriously and in a state of panic and says "IM GONNA CATCH THAT PLANE., in a state of pure determination she takes off down the terminal. Weaving in and out of flyers, waving frantically and yelling "WAIT!!! HOLD THE PLANE!!!" I am not kidding you when I say I heard a rendition of Chariots if Fire and the Rocky theme playing in my head; as I stood there helplessly and sweating like a hog, and dragging the heaviest carry on EVER. We make it right on time and take our seats. Which are of course in the very back right next to the bathroom.     Awesome.


Flight wasn't too bad. Pasta for dinner, a very yummy brownie and complimentary (yes, cimplimentary) wine. 2 glasses of that and Nicole and I were in high spirits. got about 2 hours of sleep, woke up to eat breakfast and watched to sunrise through our window as the plane landed in Dublin.  Absolutely gorgeous.  We do the baggage claim thing, deal with the rude currency converter lady, and go to get our rental car. Oh boy. The rental car.  Silver Corsa- Euro car. Automatic. Fine right? Driving on the left, a little awkward. Would've been better if we wouldnt have went into a ditch on a rural road after getting lost. Just the front right wheel. MY side, eeek. A little anxiety is an understatement. However, arrived safe and sound and 3 hours late (haha) to our B and B around noon. Fiona, who runs it, is an absolute doll of a woman, and we adore her.

Over the rental car for the day, we walked to Wicklow Town just 2 km away. Shopped a little, each got a clauddagh ring, her first one and my new one, explored the Wicklow Gaol, a haunted old prison built in 1702 with its original cells (WAY COOL...WAY CREEPY) and ate at the Gaol cafe and chatted with  a superb chap named Steve as we ate smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels, and a Mediterranean sandwich (eerily similair to Brandon whitmans delicious appetizers at our last couples dinner date  ;)  and th best potato salad I have ever tasted. I told Steve I was going to gain 10 pounds and have to hit the gym if everyone made delicious food like he did, he simply replied "nonsense, dont mess with perfection, love".

Too tired for pub life we were in our jammies by 5:30 Ireland time, getting ready to watch some TV, read and hit the hay for some well deserved rest. Goodnight All!!

6 comments:

  1. Felt like I was there with you Randi!! Very descriptive and AWSOME!! You have have fun and be safe! Cannot wait to read more of your adventures!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blow by blow description, Randi. We get to share the fun a little with you this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you arrived safely sir. Please keep updating this so I can live through you. :) We had to run to catch one of our flights back to Korea in May, but we were in Japan for our connecting flight. As if we didn't stand out enough we (Cody, Kristofer, Aiden and myself) were frantically trying to get to our gate. I ended up being the one to get to the gate first and I was the prego. Btw I can totally see you standing in the middle of the airport looking very exhausted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well put, now you have a taste of wh I LOVE that island! I will be back there next year. I am jealous already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA. Im glad youre having fun out there. Wish we could be there too. So tell me more of this sandwich? Oddly enough, the bagel with lox, cream cheese and dill (my favorite bagel ever) was my inspiration for one of those little appetizers i made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very great read! I second that Tina, very descriptive. Glad to hear you're having fun. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete